Five huge volumes comprising the earliest directory for Great Britain, and one which is probably the most important directory for genealogists and historians that we have released on CD. For towns and villages the descriptions of the places are excellent, with details of their facilities, etc, and includes those residents with trades (even those such as farmers, hay-binders, labourers, bakers, shop keepers, etc.) and their addresses.
Although titled "Great Britain", this directory covers places in England and Wales. Volume 1 of the five is devoted to London, volumes 2 to 4 cover the places in the England and Wales in alphabetical order, and vol. 5 contains a number of the subsequent amendments and additions published in the next few years.
"The Universal British Directory of Trade, Commerce, and Manufacture, comprehending Lists of the Inhabitants of London, Westminster, and Borough of Southwark; and of all the Cities, Towns, and principal Villages, in England and Wales; with the Mails, and other Coaches, stage-wagons, Hoys, Packets, and Trading Vessels. To which is added, a genuine Account of the Drawbacks and Duties chargeable at the Custom-House on all Goods and Mechandize, imported, exported, or carried coastwise, with a particular of the Public Offices of every denomination; His Majesty's Court, and Ministers of State; The Peers of the Realm, and Parliament of Great Britain; The Court of Lord Mayor, Sheriffs, Aldermen, and Common-Council, of London; together with an Historical Detail of the Antiquities, Curiosities, Trade, Polity, and Manufacturers, of each City, Town, and Village. The whole comprising a Fund of useful and important Information, equally interesting to the Nobleman, the Gentleman, and Man of Business."
The original Gentleman's Magazine contained articles on a vast array of subjects, including lots of wonderful topographical pieces.
In 1891 George Gomme republished all of these topograhical articles but edited and indexed them into county specific order. Each of Gomme's works contains between two and four separate counties.
An absolute goldmine of information about the county, its people and its places.
Three incredibly rare directories on one CD.
Note that these directories include only the main towns and market towns, and not the villages in the county.
North Wales: Denbigh, Flint, Holywell, Mold, Montgomery, Newtown, Ruthin, Welshpool, Wrexham.
South Wales: Aberystwyth, Cardiff, Carmarthen, Cowbridge, Haverfordwest, Merthyr Tydvil, Neath, Swansea,
Monmouthshire: Abergavenny, Chepstow, Monmouth, Newport, Pontypool,
First published in 1830 and republished here as a fully-searchable DOWNLOAD is Pigot & Co.'s National Commercial Directory. Renowned as one of the earliest and most complete directories and gazetteers, this publication contains the entries for the cities, towns, and principal villages in Monmouthshire. This publication contains 78 printed pages, of which 14 are a directory of Monmouthshire.
Advertised as a Commercial Directory, Pigot's National Commercial Directory provides the names, addresses and occupations of the merchants, bankers, professional gentlemen, manufacturers and traders for the principal towns, cities and villages on which it treats. The National Commercial Directory also acts as a gazetteer and topographical dictionary and for may readers this is the most useful aspect of a National Commercial Directory such as Pigot's.
Starting with a brief historical and topographical sketch of the county, Pigot's Directory then presents in alphabetical order the county Directory, which forms the vast bulk of this publication. Following the topographical description the National Commercial Directory provides details of Post Office and the names of nobility, gentry and clergy. This is followed of the trades section, consisting of Academies and schools, attorneys, bakers, blacksmiths, boot and shoemakers, bricklayers, butchers, coopers, corn dealers, dress makers and a dozen or more trades and professions. This is the minimum amount of detail one can expect in the National Commercial Directory while administrative capitals can expect at least a dozen pages.
This title is a DOWNLOAD title only. Consequently there is no postage charge. Just follow the LINK ON THE RECEIPT after you have completed payment to get the file. You will have 24 hours to download this item.
Lists every person in the county who owned 1 acre of land or more, with name, place, extent of land and its value.
Republished here is the 1891 edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire. Containing more than 300 printed pages this is an extended and improved edition from those previously published as indicated by the full title of this edition, which read as follows: Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire and the Principal Towns and Places in South Wales, with the inclusion of numerous additional places and the streets of Cardiff and Swansea, which had hitherto not been included. This the publishers believed made the current edition the most complete directory for the areas covered the most complete and accurate to date.
Kelly's Directory for Monmouthshire details every village, town and city in the county providing thorough topographical and statistical descriptions of all of the religious, educational, civil and municipal institutions contained in each. In most instances the directory also provides a brief historical account of the village or town under consideration, which often includes important events and personages connected with the locality.
Beginning with the market town and parish of Abergavenny and ending with the parish of Wonastow, the bulk of Kelly's Directory for Monmouthshire for 1891 is taken-up by the alphabetical entries for the cities, towns and villages of the county. For any reader who might be unfamiliar with a directory and gazetteer such as Kelly's the degree of information contained on each village can be gleaned from the description of one of the entries, that of Penrhôs or Penrose. This was described as a parish situated three miles north from Raglan station on the Pontypool line of the Great Western Railway. Situate in the southern division of the county, in the hundred and petty sessional division of Raglan, the union and county court district of Monmouthshire and the eastern division of Abergavenny rural deanery Mounmouth archdeaconry and Llandaff Diocese. The Parish Church of St. Cadocus, repaired in 1848, is described as an ancient building with an embattled western tower, three bells and built in the Perpendicular Style. The Church seated 150 and the parochial registers dated from 1718. The living was a vicarage with and income of £200 a year and was the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff. Also present in the parish was a chapel for Primitive Methodists. An ancient camp could also be found in the parish, known as Penrose Castle, and in 1251 during the reign of Henry III, John de Monmouth was appointed keeper of the Castle. The castle was destroyed the following year by William de Cantalupe, Lord Abergavenny. The Marquess of Abergavenny was Lord of the Manor and according to the 1881 Census Returns the population of the parish was 302. The parish contained just under 2,600 and consisted mainly of a clay with a marl subsoil. The principal crops were wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The parochial school was built in 1866 for 60 children with an average daily attendance of 22. There follows an alphabetical list of the principal inhabitants of the parish, who were predominantly farmers.
While this is the typical level of detail the reader might expect to find for some of the smaller villages and parishes, the larger towns and cities in the county, for example Abergavenny and Tredgar, are afforded a much greater level of detail.
The alphabetical list of villages and towns is followed by a county-wide alphabetical listing of Monmouthshire's principal Private Residents, as well as a Trades and Professional Directory for the County and is concluded with more than 100 pages of county advertisements may of which are accompanied by sketches and pictures. For anyone with even the slightest interest in the residents, topographic descriptions and commercial interests present in Monmouthshire this fully-searchable 1891 edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire is highly recommended.
This title is a DOWNLOAD. Please click the link on the receipt to initiate the download. If you would prefer a version on CD-ROM to be posted to you, please select the option below. It will cost an additional 6.00 (ex VAT) which includes all postage charges.
Each place in the county has an excellent description of its history and local facilties, along with directories of private residents and tradespeople.
The county town of Newport has a superb street by street directory which shows the heads of households and their occupations. These people are very much the ordinary folk, not just the great and the good, men with jobs like engine drivers, dock workers, hauliers and chimney sweeps.
Also included are Court (alphabetical private residents) and classified trades directories.
Kindly loaned to the Project by The Faamily Record Centre (the PRO) in London
Each place is described in great detail, with information about the schools, churches and other institutions which your ancestors will have actually used in their daily lives. Using directories like this you can find out where they sent their children to school, where they would have bought their provisions, the pubs they may have drank in and much, much more besides.
Every town, village and hamlet has its own list of private residents and commercial traders, whilst Newport also has a street by street directory of ordinary people as well as those with trades.
Also included is a directory of private residents and a classified trades directory.
New Releases every month. Subscribe to our newsletter. Click here.