First published in 1830 and republished here as a fully-searchable DOWNLOAD is Pigot & Co.'s National Commercial Directory. Renowned as one of the earliest and most complete directories and gazetteers, this publication contains the entries for the cities, towns, and principal villages in Buckinghamshire. This publication contains 94 printed pages, of which 30 are a directory of Buckinghamshire.
Advertised as a Commercial Directory, Pigot's National Commercial Directory provides the names, addresses and occupations of the merchants, bankers, professional gentlemen, manufacturers and traders for the principal towns, cities and villages on which it treats. The National Commercial Directory also acts as a gazetteer and topographical dictionary and for may readers this is the most useful aspect of a National Commercial Directory such as Pigot's.
Starting with a brief historical and topographical sketch of the county, Pigot's Directory then presents in alphabetical order the county Directory, which forms the vast bulk of this publication. Following the topographical description the National Commercial Directory provides details of Post Office and the names of nobility, gentry and clergy. This is followed of the trades section, consisting of Academies and schools, attorneys, bakers, blacksmiths, boot and shoemakers, bricklayers, butchers, coopers, corn dealers, dress makers and a dozen or more trades and professions. This is the minimum amount of detail one can expect in the National Commercial Directory while administrative capitals can expect at least a dozen pages.
This title is a DOWNLOAD title only. Consequently there is no postage charge. Just follow the LINK ON THE RECEIPT after you have completed payment to get the file. You will have 24 hours to download this item.
Complete with its original map scanned to a very high resolution so that you can zoom in to the finest detail. An excellent early directory covering towns and villages in the whole county, and listing all the people in each and their trades.
This book was once a part of a multi-county volume, and although the parts for each county (literally odd loose pages) were all obtained separately from different book dealers, we have now been able to obtain them all, and have had the full set rebound into one volume in a traditional style of the period. It has hand made marbled paper covered boards, half leather, and real gold leaf lettering and lining.
With original map. The first of the Kelly's directories of Buckinghamshire.
: Bedfordshire Buckinghamshire Huntingdonshire Berkshire Northamptonshire Oxfordshire
A special combined edition of all of the above six county Post Office Directories (they are available separately at 12.63 each, or as this combined set at 38.71).
A typical Kelly's Directory with descriptions of each town and village as well as a trade's directory.
Kindly loaned to the Archive CD Books project by Milton Keynes Local Studies Library.
One of the early directories published by Kelly's. Typically comprehensive in its descriptions of each town and village with their facilities at the time, and including lists of thousands of people and their trades. An excellent resource for historians and genealogists.
This book was purchased by Archive CD Books, rebound, and has now been donated as a gift to the Buckinghamshire County Record Office where it can be preserved.
This book was kindly loaned to the Archive CD Books Project by the Buckinghamshire Record Office.
Every person in the county who owned 1 acre or more of land, together with the exact amount of land and its value. 3,288 land owners listed.
Published by Kelly's. Typically comprehensive in its descriptions of each town and village with their facilities at the time, and including lists of thousands of people and their trades. An excellent resource for historians and genealogists.
Includes the original 1883 map. Zoomable on screen to view the finest detail
A typically well indexed, comprehensive and highly useful Kelly's Directory. Contains descriptions of every place in Buckinghamshire, lists private and commercial residents with their trade and address, everyone from Artists to Umbrella Makers are included.
Book kindly loaned by the Milton Keynes Local studies Library.
Book loaned by the Buckinghamshire Record Office
Republished here in full-searchable digital format is Kelly's Directory of Buckinghamshire, which was published in 1903. Containing some 380 printed pages, Kelly's Directory, as the then editor, A. Lindsay Kelly correctly noted, was primarily a directory, but also served as the gazetteer for every county for which Kelly's Directory was published, and this Buckinghamshire edition is no exception.
This directory, published with a coloured map of the county, includes every parish in the county and provides a thorough topographical description of every town, parish, village and township, describing the principal buildings and geographical objects of interest in each. Great care is also taken in Kelly's treatment of the ecclesiastical divisions of the county with descriptions of all the churches, cathedrals the value of the livings, parochial incumbents and patrons. The same level of detail is provided for the civil and local administration of the county with full information on county courts, districts fairs, markets, county hunts as well as communications such as rail and post throughout the county.
Beginning with Ackhampstead and ending with Wyradisbury, for those who might be unfamiliar with a directory such as Kelly's the degree of information contained on each village can be gleaned from the description of just one of the places entered in the Towns and Villages section of the directory, the now very familiar Milton Keynes. In 1903 Kelly's Directory of Buckinghamshire is described as a parish and village separated from Great and Little Wolston by the river Ouzel and situated 3½ miles from the Newport Pagnell terminus of the London and North Western railway. The parish was situated in the Northern division of the county and within the county court district of Newport Pagnell, rural deanery of Bletchley, archdeaconry of Buckingham and diocese of Oxford. The parish church of All Saints is described in some detail as are some of the of the notable members of the parish buried within the precincts of the church, such as Louis Atterbury, D. D., buried in 1693, the father of the Bishop of Rochester. The parish registers for the church are recorded as dating from 1559 and the living a rectory with an annual value of £300 with 48 acres of glebe. Lord of the manor was The Rt. Hon. George Henry Finch, who was also the principal landlord. The soil of the parish was mainly clay, with subsoil of gravel and sand on which the crops of wheat, beans, barley and oats were the main crops. The parish contained 1,899 acres with a population in 1901 of 219, primarily situated in the village. The village itself contained a shop, post office and elementary school for 60 children, with 34 pupils in daily attendance. The entry for Milton Keynes is concluded by a list of the principal residents and commercial interests in the parish. While Milton Keynes was, in 1903, is a relatively small hamlet within the county of Buckinghamshire as a whole, the level of detail recorded here is typical throughout the directory.
This edition of Kelly's Directory of Buckinghamshire is prefaced by a topographical and geological description of the county and is concluded with an extensive alphabetical list of the county's chief residents and commercial interests, which could be found across the length and breadth of the county in 1903. In addition to these expected but key features of any useful directory this edition also includes some 64 pages of full and half-page advertisements, many containing useful sketches and photographs from the period.
For anyone with even the slightest interest in the residents, topography of descriptions of the county of Buckinghamshire this fully-searchable 1903 edition of Kelly's Directory of Oxfordshire is heartily recommended.
This title is a DOWNLOAD. Please click the link on the receipt to initiate the download. If you would prefer a version on CD-ROM to be posted to you, please select the option below. It will cost an additional 6.00 (ex VAT) which includes all postage charges.
Includes the original 1907 map of Buckinghamshire. Zoom in to the finest detail on screen.
Book loaned by the Buckinghamshire Record Office.
This one not only has the original 1924 map of the county, but also a facsimile of the 1666 county map by Speed. Both zoomable to see the finest detail.
Book loaned by the Buckinghamshire Record Office
Includes the original 1935 county map, that you can zoom in to see the finest detail.
Five huge volumes comprising the earliest directory for Great Britain, and one which is probably the most important directory for genealogists and historians that we have released on CD. For towns and villages the descriptions of the places are excellent, with details of their facilities, etc, and includes those residents with trades (even those such as farmers, hay-binders, labourers, bakers, shop keepers, etc.) and their addresses.
Although titled "Great Britain", this directory covers places in England and Wales. Volume 1 of the five is devoted to London, volumes 2 to 4 cover the places in the England and Wales in alphabetical order, and vol. 5 contains a number of the subsequent amendments and additions published in the next few years.
"The Universal British Directory of Trade, Commerce, and Manufacture, comprehending Lists of the Inhabitants of London, Westminster, and Borough of Southwark; and of all the Cities, Towns, and principal Villages, in England and Wales; with the Mails, and other Coaches, stage-wagons, Hoys, Packets, and Trading Vessels. To which is added, a genuine Account of the Drawbacks and Duties chargeable at the Custom-House on all Goods and Mechandize, imported, exported, or carried coastwise, with a particular of the Public Offices of every denomination; His Majesty's Court, and Ministers of State; The Peers of the Realm, and Parliament of Great Britain; The Court of Lord Mayor, Sheriffs, Aldermen, and Common-Council, of London; together with an Historical Detail of the Antiquities, Curiosities, Trade, Polity, and Manufacturers, of each City, Town, and Village. The whole comprising a Fund of useful and important Information, equally interesting to the Nobleman, the Gentleman, and Man of Business."
New Releases every month. Subscribe to our newsletter. Click here.