Government census taking began in the early nineteenth century in Ireland. The first, and partial, census was carried out in 1813. This was followed in 1821 with the first complete countrywide census on 28 May. A new census was taken every 10 years after this date, up to 1911. The census for 1921 was never carried out because of the disarray caused by the War of Independence. Censuses for what is now the Republic of Ireland began in 1926.
The aim of the census was to understand the size and make-up of the Irish population to better inform government policy. As a consequence the range of questions asked, and information gathered, in each of the census returns 1821-1911 varied. In general they got progressively more detailed as new issues were felt important enough to analyse statistically.
The majority of Irish census returns from the nineteenth century were destroyed. The 1861-91 census returns were officially destroyed in their entirety, partly because of paper shortages at the outbreak of the World War in 1914. Earlier returns (1813-51) were mostly destroyed with the destruction of the Public Record Office at the outset of the Civil War in 1922.
But the statistical results from all these census returns were compiled into tables and printed for circulation among civil servants and politicians. From 1851 to 1911 these statistical tables and accompanying analysis were printed in a volume for each county for each year. It is these county reports that are reproduced here on CD-ROM or digital download.
Initially these tables recorded the numbers, ages and gender of the population by townland, civil parish and barony. These figures are important as they describe the changing circumstances of each district in Ireland and provide contextual information for family and social history. The reports usually list the change in population over the previous 10 years, so at a glance you can see the impact of the Famine in the 1851 reports. From 1871 the information gathered increased dramatically, and tables of statistics concerning "conjugal condition" (i.e. marital status), occupation, location of birth, disability, religious profession, education, emigration and foreigners appear.
The reports are far more than dry statistical tables. With this information the experience and composition of a townland can be tracked over the decades. Families and individuals were part of a wider townland community, and knowing that history can help researchers assess the social environment of a family. This provides essential background and context for any family history.
This collection of official census reports for County Limerick includes the following years: 1851, 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1911. Together these reports come to 723 pages.
This title is a DOWNLOAD title only. Consequently there is no postage charge. Just follow the LINK ON THE RECEIPT after you have completed payment to get the file. You will have 24 hours to download this item.
This second edition of Limerick and its Sieges was published by the Limerick printers and publishers, McKern and Sons in 1890 and is republished here in fully-searchable format. Containing just under 200 printed pages, including a number of illustrations and photographs, Limerick and its Sieges was written by Rev. James Dowd, a Limerick local historian, Secretary for the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland for County Limerick and author Round and About Limerick.
Beginning with the arrival of the Danes and the earliest recorded instances of Luimneach, Dowd, in the following six chapters Dowd records some of the more notable sieges of the city before digressing into descriptions of the Old City, the growth of the modern city of Limerick to 1890 before digressing even further into descriptions of some of the neighbourhoods situated in the immediate vicinity of the city.
Chapter 1, details the arrival of the Danes and their establishment of Limerick in about 795 through to their final defeat and subjugation after the Battles of Singland and Solohed. This is followed by the rise in Limerick of the native Irish such as Murtagh and Donald before arrival of the Normans, the visit of King John and the fateful expedition of Edward Bruce. Little of the history of the city is explored by Dowd between the seizure of Limerick Castle by the Earl of Desmond and the Rebellion of 1641, which ends ten years later during the Commonwealth and the arrival of Cromwell's Army at the city gates under the command of Ireton. An entire chapter is given over to the siege and blockade of the city, the excesses of the Cromwellian Army end with executions and trial of O'Neill. The penultimate siege described by Dowd is that of William III, which is told from the arrival of William's Army, the capture of Limerick City and the departure of William in 1690, followed by the siege of the City under the command of Grinkle ending with the Treaty of Limerick.
Apart from the sieges of Limerick, Dowd also describes in some little detail some of the exceptional remains of the Old City as they stood in 1890. These included King John's Castle, the Cathedral, Irish Town, English Town, the City Walls, the Citadel and more. These descriptions are important as the penultimate chapter 'The Growth of Modern Limerick' revealed. The period between 1850 and 1890 was one of growth of the City, which involved the dismantling of large portions of the city's wall, the construction of new streets and the building of public edifices such as Barrington's Hospital, the docks, the introduction of gas to the city and the remarkable 'Hanging Gardens'. Limerick and its Sieges is concluded by a chapter describing some of the more notable buildings and events in the immediate neighbourhood of the city, such as the church of Donaghmore, Castle Troy and Thomond Castle. The Sieges of Limerick also contains a number of valuable sketches such as the map of the city from a 1623 engraving and a pen-and-ink sketch of the entrance to Roche's Hanging Gardens, demolished at the turn of the 19th century.
This is a valuable little publication on Limerick City and its neighbourhood written by one of the best known local historians of Limerick in the 19th century and its contents are sure to appeal to anyone interested in the history of Limerick City and its immediate environs.
This title is a DOWNLOAD. Please click the link on the receipt to initiate the download. If you would prefer a version on CD-ROM to be posted to you, please select the option below. It will cost an additional 6.00 (ex VAT) which includes all postage charges.
Originally published by William Bassett in Limerick in 1881 is the Limerick City and County Directory. Containing more than four-hundred printed pages, Bassett's Directory has the complete title of Limerick City and County, and the Principal Towns in the Counties Clare, Tipperary, and Kerry, Directory, 1880-1.
Apart from the Dublin City and County Directories published by Alexander Thom & Co., and with the exception of the occasional county directories published by the likes of Pigott and Slater, Irish county directories, even trades directories such as that under review, are not commonplace in the nineteenth century. First published in 1875, Bassett's Limerick Directory for 1880-1 was the second and improved edition of the publication, containing as it does guides to the principal towns in Limerick, Clare, Tipperary and Kerry, which Bassett hoped would result in the publication of complete guide to the province of Munster.
The Limerick City and County Directory begins with a digest of the public bodies and institutions railways, religious, benevolent, literary and mercantile in the Borough of the City of Limerick. This includes list of all public officials such as magistrates, members of the corporation of the City and all other public officials who recorded ward-by-ward, which constitutes the first forty pages of the Directory. This is immediately followed by an alphabetical list of the principal merchants, traders and gentlemen in the City of Limerick and its surrounding areas and this together with the classified trades and professions directory, alphabetically arranged makes up just over a third of the Directory as a whole. The County Section of the Directory for Limerick records the principal gentlemen, clergy and traders for thirteen of Limerick's principal towns, namely Abbeyfeale, Adare, Askeaton, Bruff, Castleconnell, Croom, Elton/Hospital, Foynes, Glinn, Kilfinane, Kilmallock, Newcastle & Neighbourhood, Rathkeale and Neighbourhood and Patrick's Well & Neighbourhood.
The portion of the Directory treating on Clare, Tipperary and Kerry are in no way as complete as that for Limerick. The Clare portion of the Directory treats on the principal residents and traders of only five of the county's major towns, Tipperary faring a little better with eight and County Kerry also with eight. In the main, each town included in the directory records the the gentry and clergy in the immediate vicinity of the town as well as the principal traders in the town and its surrounds. In the case of the larger towns notices in the Directory, for example Tralee and Clonmel, borough officials such as magistrates, corporation members, councillors and union officials are also included. The Limerick City and County Directory is concluded with more than ninety pages of advertisements taken from all over Ireland, which present a fascinating account of some of the leading producers and suppliers in the country as a whole in 1880.
As one of the few trades directories for Limerick, Clare, Tipperary and Kerry published prior to the twentieth-century, Bassett's Limerick City and County Directory for 1880-1, is not to be missed.
First published in Limerick in 1896 by McKern & Sons and republished here is Rev. James Dowd's Round About the County of Limerick: Illustrated, which contains 377 printed pages arranged into seventeen chapters, with 11 appendices and illustrated with maps and photographs.
Dowd was a local historian, Secretary for the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland for County Limerick and author of Limerick and its Sieges and his objective for this publication was simple: using a number of focal points - his chapter headings - he intended taking the reader on an archaeological and historical tour of Limerick, pointing out events and topography that rendered many of them memorable.
Beginning with Kilmallock, the reader is informed that that the name derived from St. Mocheallog, who erected a church here in the seventh century, but a place that remained of little note until the arrival of the Geraldines. Dowd provides the earliest recorded references to Kilmallock before reciting the history of consecutive sackings of the town by the Earl of Fitzmaurice and later during the Desmond Rebellion. However, it s was quickly rebuild and turned into a garrison town. Dowd provides a detailed description of the town as it stood at the time of writing as well a description of the town in 1775. More detailed examination is given to the castle, Roman Catholic Church, the Church of Saints Peter and Paul and the the Dominican Abbey. The chapter is concluded with the presentation of several historical documents including Charters to the town by Elizabeth I, Henry IV and Henry VIII. In essence this is the arrangement of many of the chapters contained in Round About County Limerick. Other chapter headings used as focal points for Dowd's historical discourse include Knockainy, Adare, Askeaton, Newcastle West and Castleconnell and the Burke country. In each case Dowd elucidates the reader with key historical events and topography of the place named in the chapter headings as well as those in the immediate vicinity.
The author permits himself several asides throughout Round and About the County of Limerick. These include entire chapters on the Knights of Glin and the Ardagh Cup as well as a chapter on Lady Dowdall's Defence of Kilfinny Castle in 1642 and the Waller family and the siege of Castletown, which includes and inventory of cattle crops, houses and furnishings. Round and About the County of Limerick is concluded by a series of appendices, which includes list of the High Sheriffs of the county, Members of Parliament for the Borough Towns of Askeaton and Kilmallock as well as abstracts taken from the 1891 Census of Ireland.
Republished here Round and About County Limerick is an easy and enjoyable read of some of the more notable historical events and topography of the county and will appeal to anyone wishing to learn more about the history of the county or perhaps one wishing to be introduced for the first time to the turbulent history if the county during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.
Originally published in Dublin 1826 and 1827 the two volume History of Limerick is a monumental study in every aspect of the county and one that every historian writing on the county still pays heed and respect to. The two volumes taken together contain more than 1,100 printed pages and are republished here in searchable format.
There is little indication in the preface to either volume 1 or volume 2 of The History of Limerick as to how long the endeavour may have taken the co-writers, Rev. Patrick Fitzgerald and John James McGregor, but even with the aid of the most eminent historians and local history experts of the days, such as James Hardiman and Sir William Betham, their endeavour must have taken many years.
The History of Limerick is divided and presented in two separate volumes, the first published in 1826, is simply entitled The History of Limerick, and its four-hundred or so pages serve as a preliminary or introduction to its companion volume. Over half of the first volume is taken-up by a survey of the history and antiquities of Ireland, ranging from the colonization of the country, down to its literature, poetry, music and natural beauties before the authors turn their attention to the topography and antiquities of county Limerick, which they detail barony by barony. Volume 1 is concluded with a series of statistical tables drawn from the recently published 1821 Census of Ireland.
With the preliminary survey of Ireland and Limerick successfully completed, Fitzgerald and McGregor turn their attention in volume 2 of The History of Limerick solely to the county and city of their title. The second volume was published as The History, Topography, and Antiquities of the County and City of Limerick; with a Preliminary View of the History and Antiquities of Ireland. This two-volume publication is more often than not know collectively by this title, with the second portion paying heed to volume 1.
Volume 2 contains some 700 printed pages and in many respects is the more satisfying historical account. The first half of this volume is given-over to a detailed account of the political and military history of the city and county of Limerick from the earliest times to the first decade of the 19th century. The divide is made-up by a valuable map of the City of Limerick drawn in 1827, which serves as an introduction to the second portion of this volume, which begins with the Civil and Ecclesiastical history of the City of Limerick. This is followed by a fascinating and extremely important 200-page account of the Topography and Antiquities of the City and its immediate environs, which details all of the major buildings and sites of interest to be found in the city. Volume 2 is concluded with seven appendices, which include the complete texts of King John's Charter of the City, the Treaty of Limerick as well as lists of all the mayors, burgesses and Members of Parliament for both county and City.
As to the co-authors much more is known about the lay writer. John James McGregor (1775-1834)
was a Methodist, historian, journalist for the Munster Reporter and a topographer of note who by the time he came to co-write The History of Limerick had several notable works already in publication. It can be no coincidence that at the time of publication McGregor was Literary Editor for the Kildare Place Education Society and chapters on the improvement of Limerick Society and education may have been undertaken at his bidding. However, it has been posited that McGregor was merely responsible for putting the finishing gloss and polish to The History of Limerick, while much of the local research for the history was undertaken by the Rev. Patrick Fitzgerald, then Vicar of Cahircorney, who had contributed to William Shaw Mason's A Statistical Account, or, Parochial Survey of Ireland: Drawn Up from the Communications of the Clergy, published in 1816.
The two-volume History of Limerick is regarded as one of the most detailed and thorough accounts of the County of Limerick and still widely used and cited by writers and researchers on the county and for these reasons this republication of this classic is not to be missed.
Guy's Limerick Directory is an essential source for early twentieth century Limerick for both business and residential listings. Spread over 126 pages, listing more than 4,500 names, and published in 1912, this Limerick directory comprises a comprehensive business listing spread over ten pages as well as approximately three and a half thousand names in a postal directory for the city and suburbs. There are also further pages of advertisements giving additional details on many of the businesses. Supplementing the business and residential listings is a comprehensive list of the public bodies, as well as educational and religious institutions. Also included are the dates and details for all the fairs of Munster, in addition to a thorough postal and telegraph directory for the entire county. The directory is rounded off with other useful information such as foreign money and British equivalents, commercial stamp duties, property and income tax, land value duties, and information on national insurance.
This is a valuable resource for anyone with an interest in early twentieth century Limerick or pre-war business in Ireland.
The Directory of the City of Limerick & County Clare & Limerick was printed in Limerick by H. & E. Ashe in 1891-2. While Dublin City and County are replete with trades' and residential directories from the mid-eighteenth century to the present day, many of the Ireland's other counties are bereft of such directories. Between 1769 and 1894 there have only been fifteen published directories in which all or part of Limerick and Clare have been featured. Of the fifteen published directories, only two, apart from H. & E. Ashe's Directory specifically treat on Limerick City and County as well as County Clare, and as such, this republication will be of particular interest to those who have an interest in these counties.
This edition of H. and E. Ashe's Directory of the City of Limerick & County Clare & Limerick contains two hundred and five pages of text and includes handwritten annotations of the names of occupants in Limerick City by the Directory's first owner as well as a large number of full-page advertisements placed by local Limerick tradesmen, merchants and shopkeepers. The Directory proper is introduced by a relatively standard history of Limerick City, but this included special notices on the city's harbour and docks, including the duties paid on incoming shipping into the city, which was compiled by the incumbent Port Engineer, Mr. W. J. Hall.
The Directory also includes postal and telegraph information, including the closing post for rail postage on the major railway lines that once traversed the county the county. Also present in the Directory are the Rules and Regulations for Hackney Cars and Carriages as laid down by the Corporation of Limerick, which includes a list of standard fares within the Borough of Limerick City as well as the addresses for all the religious, social and civic institutions, together with the name of their incumbents.
Of particular interest will be the complete street directory for the residents of the city and an alphabetically listing of the same.
The county portion of the Directory for Limerick is fairly substantial and much more so than some of Ashe's contemporary competitors who were publishing national rather than local directories. Ashe treats on all the major villages of towns of Limerick County recording all the major gentlemen, professionals, farmers, traders and merchants connected with each. The Directory also lists the schools, religious, civic and social institutions associated with each town and village, all of which provides excellent social and demographic data, which has obvious benefits for the social historian and family history researchers.
Ashe's Directory also includes details of the main residents of the larger villages and towns of County Clare. This is of particular interest as there are very few if any directories published specifically for the county
This digital edition of Ashe's 1891-2 Directory is fully searchable and should grace the shelves of genealogists and scholars with an interest in counties Clare and Limerick.
This is one of earliest full commercial directories of Ireland, and includes over 220 urban centres throughout the island. Organised by Province, and then town, it lists all the principal office holders, gentry, professionals, tradesmen, hotels, schools, public institutions, churches, and even pubs for each town in Ireland. There is a description of each Province and town as well. This was Pigot's much-expanded second edition (the previous version dated 1820) and is now extremely rare.
This title includes the Introductory sections, and the Munster section only.
Lewis gives details about every parish, town and village in Ireland, including numbers of inhabitants, the economy, history, topography, religion and parish structures, administration and courts, schools, and much more. He also gives the names of the principal inhabitants (generally landlords, merchants and professionals).
This Dictionary is in four parts:
· Preface & Subscribers
· Volume 1: A-G
· Volume 2: H-Z
· Volume 3: Maps
The Maps are in full colour, making this source one of the most important for research on Ireland.
This book really contains two publications. The first is the general directory for Cork city. This important publications includes an alphabetical directory, street directory and trades and professions directory for the city, as well as full lists of administrative offices, and public and private institutions. This is followed by Wynne's Directory of the province of Munster, which covers every county. Each county section starts with a list of administrative and judicial officers, after which there is a full trade directory for each town.
This extremely rare book also includes some illustrations of Cork as well as a vast number of illustrated advertisements.
This superb book includes a full commercial directory for the entire country. Organised by Province, and then town, it lists all the principal office holders, gentry, professionals, trades, hotels, schools, public institutions, churches, and even pubs for each town in Ireland. Slater took over Pigot's important publication of commercial directories of Ireland, and this was the first instalment. It has almost twice as much detail as its predecessor (published in 1824), and is now an extremely rare item.
This title includes the Introductory sections, and the Munster, Cork & Limerick sections only.
For those familiar with the study of Irish history and in particular Irish genealogy, directories such as Slater's are a vital research tool. Each town and village contained in the Directory is introduced by its geographical location in relation to its nearest railway station together with population statistics derived from the 1861 Census of Ireland as well as a brief geographical and topographical description. The Directory provides the names and addresses of the principal private residents, together with those engaged in commercial and agricultural activity as well as the presence and location of religious, commercial and public institutions.
This publication reproduces just the Province of Munster and cities of Cork and Limerick sections of Slater's 1870 Royal National Directory of Ireland. This directory is one of only nine national directories for Ireland published prior to 1900 and an essential research tool for the study of Irish genealogy and history.
This superb book includes a full commercial directory for the entire country. Organised by Province, and then town, it lists all the principal office holders, gentry, professionals, trades, hotels, schools, public institutions, churches, and even pubs for each town in Ireland.
This is the third edition of Slaters, for the year 1881, and contains 1,580 pages of information including a large-scale map of Ireland.
Published by HMSO from evidence given to both house of Parliament in February 1893 by Assistant Commissioner W. O. O'Brien, the full title of this publication gives some idea as to its nature and scope:
'Royal Commission on Labour: The Agricultural Labourer. Vol. IV. Ireland, Part II, Reports by Mr. W. P. O'Brien C.B., (Assistant Commissioner) upon certain selected districts in counties Carlow, Cork, Clare, Kerry, Kildare, Kilkenny, King's, Limerick, Queen's, Tipperary, Waterford, Wexford and Wicklow'.
In fact, the information presented in the 138 Report was taken from the Commissions Surveys of eleven Poor Law Unions, namely Kenmare, Kanturk, Nass, Ennistymon, Cashel, Wexford, Lismore, Thomastown, Kilmallock, Mountmellick and Carlow and is one of a number of similar reports into the state of agricultural labourers that taken together are the most comprehensive survey of the condition of agricultural labourers undertaken; the Commission undertook inquiries into 41 aspects of the lives of Irish labourers. This evidence was derived from a plethora of sources, which give both this and the Commissions conclusions great validity. Amongst the sources from which evidence was garnered were secretaries of local labour leagues, land agents, independent witnesses, Poor Law Union Guardians, parish priests as well as personal interviews by the Commissioner and his agents. These interviews included visiting labourers' cottages in each of the subdistricts of the unions surveyed and much of the firsthand evidence gathered revealed the depressing conditions experienced by the rural and urban labourer alike.
The scope of the Commission's inquiry was as far-reaching as were its final conclusions. The specific areas of inquiry were as follows: supply of labourer; immigration; conditions of engagement; terms of engagement; hours of labour and meal times; Sunday work; wages and earnings; piece work; mode of payment; prerequisites and allowances; wages earned and other employments; estimated annual earnings; diet of labourers and their families; cottage accommodation; suggested amendments to Labourer's Acts as well as a plethora of evidence as to way and means of improving labourers wages, housing and conditions; garden allotments, cultivation plots and allotments for town labourers; live stock, bee industry, cow runs and pastures; benefit societies, trade unions, relations between employer and employee; general condition of town and agricultural labourers; age and size of families and the effect of early marriages and large families.
In short, the Commission probed into every conceivable aspect of labourer's lives and probably extended its scope beyond its original remit by inquiring into the conditions and circumstances of town labourers, miners and women labourers both town and country. Taken as a whole the 1893 Royal Commission on Labour provides provides some of the best social, economic and historical data available for the labouring classes of Ireland towards the end of the 19th century and will be a useful time for academics and those simply interested in the socio-economic conditions experienced by much of the population of Ireland in the 1890s.
This title is a DOWNLOAD. Please click the link on the receipt to initiate the download. If you would prefer a version on CD-ROM to be posted to you, please select the option below. It will cost an additional 6.00 (ex VAT) which includes all postage charges.
Buy the Compendium with all four volumes and save €12
Francis Guy postal directory of the province of Munster is an exceptionally important book. It is one of the few detailed directories for Munster from this period, and records over 140,000 names in 1,183 pages. There is a section for each county, beginning with a history and description of the county, followed by administrative office holders, judiciary, religions and clerics, fairs, markets, banks, education, legal, medical, institutions, newspapers, poor law unions, county and city establishments. This is followed by a full postal directory for every village and town in the county. This directory is structured by profession, and is similar to a trades directory, except that it also includes a full directory of farmers in the locality. The list for each place also includes all administrative officials and institutions (schools, churches, etc.) for that area. Each name also gives an address and profession. This is followed by a full alphabetical directory for the county that lists name, profession and address for each person. The county sections that include a city area (i.e. Cork, Limerick and Waterford) have parallel postal directories and alphabetical directories for those cities as well as the county. Each county section finishes with some statistics, and also includes a number of unique illustrations.
The following list gives the number of pages and names recorded for each county:
Clare: 102 pages, 12,000 names
Cork city and county: 508 pages, 60,000 names
Kerry: 122 pages, 12,000 names
Limerick city and county: 174 pages, 22,000 names
Tipperary: 164 pages, 20,000 names
Waterford city and county: 113 pages, 14,000 names
This publication reproduces just the Province of Munster & cities of Cork and Limerick sections of Slater's 1894 Royal National Directory of Ireland. This directory is one of only nine national directories for Ireland published prior to 1900. Apart from the fulsome coverage given-over to Ireland's major cities, Slater's also provides information on the principal private and commercial residents (including farmers) of the larger towns and villages. As a fully searchable CD-Rom, the publication of Slater's Royal National Directory of Ireland is an essential research aid that must grace the shelves of anybody interested in the people and institutions of Ireland.
New Releases every month. Subscribe to our newsletter. Click here.