First published in Newry and printed by Alexander Wilson in 1819 and republished here is James Stuart's Historical Memoirs of the City of Armagh. Containing some 669 printed pages, the full title of Stuart's work provides a clear insight into the scope and aims of Stuart's work: Historical Memoirs of the City of Armagh for a Period of 1,373 Years Comprising a Considerable Portion of the General History of Ireland; A Refutation of the Opinions of Dr. Ledwich, Respecting the Non-Existence of St. Patrick; And an Appendix, on the Learning, Antiquities and Religion of the Irish Nation.
Born in Armagh in 1764, James Stuart was educated at the Royal School, Armagh, before attending Trinity College, Dublin, where he qualified B.A., and was called to the Irish Bar, but never practised. Stuart is best-remembered as a journalist and an historian and antiquary of the Newry-Armagh area, although he was also a published poet. As a journalist Stuart contributed to the Hibernian Magazine, was first editor of the Newry Telegraph (1812), editor of the Newry Magazine from 1815 to 1819 and after moving to Belfast after writing his Historical Memoirs of Armagh he became editor of the Belfast News Letter as well as founding and editing the Guardian and Constitutional Advocate (1827). Despite all of these achievements Stuart is still-remembered for his monumental Historical Memoirs of the City of Armagh, which in many people's opinions remains unsurpassed
The first eighty pages of the Historical Memoirs of the City of Armagh are given over to Stuart's skilful refutation of Dr. Ledwich's claims that St. Patrick never existed as an historical figure and in large part the Historical Memoirs put to rest once and for all Ledwich's claims. The remainder of the Historical Memoirs consist, in Stuart's words, of the following subjects and themes interwoven throughout the publication as a whole: the first, an historical account of Armagh, complete with statistical survey of the City; biographical sketches of various prelates of the See of Armagh from 445 to the Reformation; biographical accounts of Protestant Archbishops of Armagh and all of Ireland from the Reformation to 1818 with similar sketches of the Roman Catholic Archbishops for the same periods; a narrative of the history of Ireland where the Archbishops of Ireland were either directly or indirectly involved; an account of the foundation of the Presbyterian Congregations and other religious establishments together with biographical sketches of the Presbyterian Ministers of Armagh. This monumental publication is concluded with more than twenty appendices contained in almost one-hundred pages and the original work is fully-indexed.
Despite being almost two centuries old, James Stuart's Historical Memoirs of the City of Armagh remains one of the most authoritative texts published for the City's history down to the date of its publication in 1819.
This title is a DOWNLOAD. Please click the link on the receipt to initiate the download. If you would prefer a version on CD-ROM to be posted to you, please select the option below. It will cost an additional 6.00 (ex VAT) which includes all postage charges.
Originally printed and published in Dublin by John Falconer of Upper Sackville Street and republished here, is the Royal Irish Constabulary List & Directory; Containing Lists of the Constabulary Departments, Dublin Metropolitan Police, Resident Magistrates, Coast Guards, Etc. Appearing bi-annually on 31st January and 31st July, this issue is numbered 147 and was published in January 1915 and contains 290 printed pages.
The etcetera component to the RIC Constabulary List & Directory is contained in the main in the advertisements contained therein and also a miscellany of information to the general reader contained in the directory's introductory pages, some of which is extremely useful and some quite strange. For example, we are informed that in the year ending 31st March 1915 general income tax was at the rate of one shilling and three pence in the pound, which amounts to just over six new pence in the pound and the average letter cost one old penny. The introductory section also includes lists of cabinet and non-cabinet misters in Her Majesty's Government.
The RIC Constabulary List & Directory proper begins with a seniority list of the RIC from its then Inspector General, Colonel Sir Neville Chamberlain, down. From the rank of County Inspector down the RIC Constabulary List & Directory provides by date of appointment the name of officers, the date of appointment, whether or not they had been awarded good service pay and/or been awarded medals as well as any university or professional qualifications gained. This is followed by alphabetical lists of county and district inspectors together with the dates of their appointments from 3rd through to 1st class. Further lists for this group of RIC officers include the counties, stations and post towns in which they were currently posted, alphabetical lists of RIC Stations, promotions and transfers as well as biographical returns for the half year for officers who had received commendations and the reasons this commendations and citations were given.
The list for county and district inspectors is followed by lists for head constables and sergeants - the RIC Constabulary List & Directory does not include details on members of the RIC and Dublin Metropolitan Police below these ranks - which includes alphabetical lists together with RIC Service numbers and the stations and post towns to which these officers were attached. Part 1 of the RIC Constabulary List & Directory is concluded with the publication of promotions in the half year and a listing of all of the RIC Stations in the country together with the district the station served and the name of the Sergeants in Charge.
Part 2 of the RIC Constabulary List & Directory for January 1915 begins with an alphabetical list of resident magistrates, divisional and county clerks, county coroners, county court judges, chairmen of the various Quarter Sessions as well as the names of Clerks of the Peace, Part 3 treats on members of the Dublin Metropolitan Police, the divisions of the force in the City Dublin with the names of the sergeant in charge of each station; this section is concluded with lists of officers in the pay of the Coast Guard Service and lists of Hut Stations and Protection Posts throughout Ireland. RIC Constabulary List & Directory for January 1915 is concluded with some seventy or so pages of advertisements, presumably aimed at the officers and men of the Royal Irish Constabulary. The majority of these advertisements are for watches and other time pieces, bicycles and jewellery.
The RIC Constabulary List & Directory for January 1915 is the complete list and guide to the Royal Irish Constabulary, Dublin Metropolitan Police and other civil authorities in Ireland for the half-year for which it was issued.
First published in 1844 by Alexander Thom & Co., Thom's Irish Almanac & Directory, is still being published and is rightly seen as the pre-eminent directory and almanac for Ireland. Since its initial publication Thom's has undergone a number of slight deviations in its title, such as Post Office Directory, Irish Almanac & Directory and in this case, the Official Directory. When it was first issued in 1843 Thom's contained some 1,000 printed pages; by the time of this 1894 issue the Directory contained more than 2,000 printed pages, which are released here.
The development of and deviations of the title of Thom's publication was in many respects driven by the changes and additions to its contents. Although primarily and rightly seen as an Irish directory and almanac, more than 600 initial pages are given over to a multitude of separate directories pertaining to the United Kingdom and its dominions and the breadth of these multifarious directories are given on this editions title page, which reads as follows: Thom's Official Directory of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland for the Year 1894. Comprising British, Foreign and Colonial Directories. Parliamentary Directory. Peerage, Baronetage, and Knightage Directory. Naval and Military Directory. Statistics of Great Britain and Ireland. Government Offices' Directory. University, Scientific and Medical Directory. Law Directory. Ecclesiastical Directory. Banking Directory. Postal Directory. County and Borough Directory. Lieutenancy and Magistracy of Ireland. Post Office Dublin City and County Directory. In essence, this edition records the details of all the functionaries of state and government, military, civil and religious, from the Queen down to the clerks in the stationary office.
More than half of the 2,000 printed pages of Thom's Official Directory are given over to Ireland. Beginning with statistics for the country as a whole taken from the 1891 Census of Ireland, the Official Directory also provides county-by-count details on Irish landowners of 1,000 acres and upwards and 10,000 acres and upwards, with a further 300 pages or so detailing the multitude of state functionaries, civil, religious, financial and military. This includes all the incumbents of the various parishes and benefices in Ireland, all army and navy officers, barrister and solicitors, doctors and physicians, all educational and medical institutions and members of their governing bodies and even the clubs and private institutions, such as learned and academic societies and members of their respective councils.
The County Directory of Ireland provides statistical information on each county derived from the 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881 and 1891 Censuses of Ireland as well as the names of all the civil functionaries of the counties ranging from the deputy lieutenant down to local magistrates, the places and dates of county fairs, poor law unions, petty sessions and polling stations and this section is complete by the Borough Directory, which provides similar information for the municipal Boroughs and Towns of Ireland.
Some 800 pages of the 1894 edition of Thom's Official Directory is given over to Dublin City and its suburbs and as one would expect the level of detail provided in these sections far exceeds the that given for the rest of Ireland. For the capital itself a comprehensive street directory is provided , which extends to the various townships and suburbs of the city such as Rathmines, Pembroke and Kingstown as well as the residents of many of the larger villages, which at this time had not been incorporated into the city. In addition, Thom's provides a list of the Dublin City and county nobility, gentry, merchants and traders as well as a trades directory and it is to the street and trades directories that most people are drawn to in search of their Dublin ancestors.
Republished here in digital format, at least one edition of Thom's Directory and Almanac is a must for every Irish household.
Republished here is the 5th edition of Baddeley & Ward's Guide to Ireland, Part I, published by Dulau & Co., in London in 1902, together with their Guide to Ireland, Part II, published by Nelson & Sons in 1911. Published as part of Baddeley and Ward's 'Thorough Guide' Series, these editions collectively contain more than 700 printed pages. Part I, entitled Ireland (Part I). Northern Counties including Dublin and its Neighbourhood, includes 23 maps and town plans by J. Bartholomew; whereas, Part II carries the title, Ireland (Part II). East, West & South including Dublin and Howth and includes 27 maps and plans, again by J. Bartholomew.
Mountford John Byrde Baddeley (1843-1906) distinguished himself as a guide book writer of the late 19th early 20th centuries, with his first 'Thorough Guide', that to the Lake District, being published by Dulau in 1880. This publication alone went through 23 editions, the last being published by Hammond in 1978 illustrating the enduring appeal of the format of Baddeley's Thorough Guides, which encompassed twenty regions throughout England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland.
Ireland (Part I) was edited and unusually written by Baddeley. Written for the independent tourist travelling on foot, bicycle by coach or rail these guides were at the time of their publication particularly highly regarded and praised in the national newspapers for their accuracy, tasteful topographic descriptions and beautiful maps and these aspects of the Thorough Guides series was as true then as it is today. Ireland (Part I) includes 28 main destinations throughout the north of Ireland, including Donegal. Each of the destinations is accompanied by descriptions of how to get there be it by rail, bicycle or coach and on arrival where to stay. From these focal points the Thorough Guide provides notes for all the activities available in the area, such as notes for walkers, notes for cyclists, anglers, golfers and the like as well as learned topographical descriptions provided by Ward on the local buildings, places and sights of interest. From each stopping point the reader is offered a number of day trips or excursions, which are aimed walkers with varying levels of fitness to cyclists prepared to cycle more than 100 miles in a day!
Ireland (Part II), was written by C. S. Ward and edited by W. Baxter and includes 25 main destinations, mainly in Cork, Kerry, Waterford, Limerick and Clare, with a large section on Galway and Connemara. One of the distinguishing features of the Thorough Guides series are the excellent maps and plans that accompany the guides and the two editions that cover Ireland are no exception. The nature of the maps, showing relief and gradient are akin to modern discovery series Ordnance Survey Maps all of which mark the routes described in throughout the text.
Issued here as one digital edition, the Thorough Guides to Ireland (Parts I & II) remain an excellent travel companion for the environs which they cover and all editions in this series have now become eminently desirable to collectors, the maps alone making this CD-Rom republication a worthy edition to anyone with an interest in independent travel.
Republished here are The Military Novels of Charles Lever featuring his character Charley O'Malley. Originally collected and published in two volumes in 1841 and republished in 1872 by the author, this republication is number 74 of a limited edition of 250 published in Boston in 1891. In total, the two volumes contain more than 1,100 printed pages recording the antics of Charles O'Malley and his associates, the most popular serialised short stories in early Victorian Britain.
Charles James Lever (1806-1872) was born in Dublin and educated at Trinity College, Dublin. After travelling in Europe and Canada, Lever returned to Dublin to study medicine at the Royal College of Surgeons and began life as a practising physician when he was appointed the dispensary doctor at Portstewart, Co. Derry. Here he met William Hamilton Maxwell whose Wild Sports of the West, published in 1832, inspired Lever to write his own military novels. The first of these was The Confessions of Harry Lorrequer, which was serialised from February 1837 in the recently established Dublin University Magazine. These portray the comic adventures of Harry Lorrequer and his army colleagues in Ireland during the Napoleonic period. In 1839 Lever moved to Brussels, where as a practising physician he wrote and published Charles O'Malley (1841), considered with The Confessions of Harry Lorrequer to be Lever's best work. 'Written under the spur of the writer's chronic extravagance, contain some splendid military writing and some of the most animated battle-pieces on record' and were said to have been avidly read, by amongst others, the Duke of Wellington. Lever was appointed to a number of vice-consulships, the last being in Trieste, in 1871, from were Lever reissued this collection of The Military Novels featuring Charles O'Malley.
The Military Novels of Charles Lever featuring Charles O'Malley are illustrated by Halbot Knight Browne, better known as 'Phiz', the illustrator of many of Charles Dickens' novels. Republished here in fully-searchable format, as a two-volume set, this publication is not to be missed.
Originally printed and published in Dublin by John Falconer of Upper Sackville Street and republished here is the Royal Irish Constabulary List & Directory; Containing Lists of the Constabulary Departments, Dublin Metropolitan Police, Resident Magistrates, Coast Guards, Etc. Appearing bi-annually on 31st January and 31st July, this issue is numbered 137 and was published in January 1910 and contains 284 printed pages.
The etcetera component to the RIC Constabulary List & Directory is contained in the main in the advertisements contained therein and also a miscellany of information to the general reader contained in the directory's introductory pages, some of which is extremely useful and some quite strange. For example, we are informed that in the year ending 31st January 1910 general income tax was at the rate of one shilling and two pence in the pound, which amounts to six new pence in the pound and the average letter cost one old penny. The introductory section also includes lists of cabinet and non-cabinet misters in Her Majesty's Government.
Part 2 of the RIC Constabulary List & Directory for January 1910 begins with an alphabetical list of resident magistrates, divisional and county clerks, county coroners, county court judges, chairmen of the various Quarter Sessions as well as the names of Clerks of the Peace, Part 3 treats on members of the Dublin Metropolitan Police, the divisions of the force in the City Dublin with the names of the sergeant in charge of each station; this section is concluded with lists of officers in the pay of the Coast Guard Service and lists of Hut Stations and Protection Posts throughout Ireland. RIC Constabulary List & Directory for January 1910 is concluded with some seventy or so pages of advertisements, presumably aimed at the officers and men of the Royal Irish Constabulary. The majority of these advertisements are for watches and other time pieces, bicycles and jewellery.
The RIC Constabulary List & Directory for January 1910 is the complete list and guide to the Royal Irish Constabulary, Dublin Metropolitan Police and other civil authorities in Ireland for the half-year for which it was issued.
First published in London by Ernest Benn Ltd., in 1932 and republished here in the Blue Guide to Ireland, edited by Findlay Muirhead. Containing 386 printed pages with a complete atlas of Ireland and 13 addition maps and plans, the Blue Guides have set the standard for independent travellers since they were first published in 1918. The quality of the Blue Guides is witnessed by the fact that they are published to this day with the most recent edition being a reissue of the Blue Guide to Northern Italy.
Findlay Muirhead together with his brother James began their careers as the English language editors for Karl Baedeker's travel books, compiling editions for Britain, Canada and America. The Muirheads worked for Baedeker's for almost thirty years before becoming unemployed due to the outbreak of WWI. However, in 1915 they acquired the rights to John Murray's handbooks and in the same year established their company, Muirhead's Guidebooks Ltd. After agreement with the French publishing House of Hachette who published Guides Bleus, the Muirheads issued the first of the Blue Guide in 1918 to London & its Environs.
Compiled from the experience of the writer, L. R. Muirhead who travelled several thousand miles across the length and breadth of Ireland, the Blue Guide to Ireland differed from those that the Muirheads had previously published, in as much as it was organised by routes and tours taken by road rather than rail. While the editor opined that Ireland was coming to the forefront as a field for the pleasure-traveller, its rail system prevented a thorough exploration of all of the delights that this 'motorist's paradise' had to offer.
Beginning with an introduction outlining the history and antiquities of Ireland as well as a glossary of Irish place names and notes on the Irish language, the Blue Guide to Ireland then presents detailed information on many aspects of travel in Ireland ranging from money, to hotels, to rails travel, postal information and more than ten pages of angling. From here Blue Guide is divided into four sections arranging itineraries for the independent travel in the four provinces of Ireland. Most of the itineraries radiated from central basis, that of the province of Leinster includes many routes starting in Dublin, Ulster starting in Belfast and so on. The Blue Guide to Ireland provides the itineraries for forty-eight separate routes. Each is fully-referenced with details on distances, places to stay, costs, references to maps and atlases that are included in the publication as well as interesting observations and descriptions on what the traveller could expect to see
The Blue Guides are an excellent travelling companion whether the travel is conducted from the comfort of ones armchair, by car or by rail and the detail afforded the tourist then as now is incomparable and this, the first edition of the Blue Guide to Ireland is no exception.
This edition of William Carleton's Traits & Stories of the Irish Peasantry was published in London in 1853 and is republished here in digital format. Containing the stories The Party Fight & Funeral; the Hedge School and The Station, this edition includes two illustrations by Phiz, Halbot Knight Browne (1815-82), best-known as the illustrator of the works of Charles Dickens.
William Carleton, now memorialised by the numerous summer schools that bear his name and contemporary literature by no less than Seamus Heany in his epic poem, The Station, was born in Co. Tyrone in 1794, one of fourteen children of a small tenant farmer. Educated at various hedge schools Carleton had initially entertained ideas of entering the Church, but after undertaking a pilgrimage he gave up any notions of becoming a priest and eventually became a Protestant. Carleton arrived in Dublin in the late 1820s virtually penniless and after failing to secure jobs as a bird-stuffer and soldier amongst others, he obtained a teaching job in a Sunday School and began to contribute stories to journals. Asked to write a sketch of Lough Derg, this was published by the editor of the Christian Examiner, Reverend Caesar Otway and within two years Carleton had published more than thirty sketches in the same periodical. These were collected and published as Traits and Stories of the Irish Peasantry, published in five volumes between 1830 and 1833 by William Curry and before Carleton's death in 1869 had gone through more than fifty editions. This was followed by Tales of Ireland published in 1833, which placed Carleton in the first rank of Irish novelists.
Between 1833 and his death in 1869 Carleton wrote and was published continuously and some of his other works include Valentine McClutchy, the Irish Agent, or Chronicles of the Castle Cumber Property; Willy Reilly and his dear Cooleen Bawn; The Black Prophet, a Tale of Irish Famine and The Squanders of Castle Squander. Carleton wrote from the personal experiences he had with the scenes he described, especially in his short stories such as the Hedge School and The Station and in these he 'described, and drew with a sure hand a series of pictures of peasant life, unsurpassed for their appreciation of the passionate tenderness of Irish home life, of the buoyant humour and the domestic virtues which would, under better circumstances, bring prosperity and happiness'. It is for these reasons that the Traits of the Irish Peasantry has undergone so many editions and why it is still to be recommended to a contemporary readership.
First published in 1925 and republished here is the first edition of Wallace Nutting's Ireland Beautiful. Published by Nutting's own company, the Old American Company at Framingham, Massachusetts, Ireland Beautiful was one ten books published by Wallace Nutting, the others being Vermont Beautiful (1922), New Hampshire Beautiful (1923), Connecticut Beautiful (1923), Massachusetts Beautiful (1923), Maine Beautiful (1924), Pennsylvania Beautiful (1924), Ireland Beautiful (1925), New York Beautiful (1927), England Beautiful (1928), and Virginia Beautiful (1930). All the publications in the series were renowned for their illustrations and Ireland Beautiful is no exception containing as it does 304 pictures of every county in Ireland.
Born in Massachusetts in 1861, Nutting was one of only two children. His sister Edith died when she was eighteen and Wallace's father was killed during the American Civil War when he was aged just four. Educated at Harvard, Nutting was an ordained Congregational Minister, but he is renowned as a photographer, artist, and antiquarian, who is most famous for his pictures. He also was an accomplished author, lecturer, furniture maker, antiques expert and collector. It is widely held that his photographs helped spur the Colonial Revival Style in America. Nutting started taking photographs in 1899 Wallace Nutting started taking pictures in 1899 while on long bicycle rides in the countryside. In 1904 he opened the Wallace Nutting Art Prints Studio on East 23rd Street in New York and his printing business flourished. It is estimated that at the peak of his success he employed some 200 colourists and by his own account he sold more than ten million pictures.
Ireland Beautiful is dedicated 'to those Americans who, from birth, have loved or who have learned to love old Ireland'. As with his publications in American states, Ireland Beautiful attempts to capture Ireland as it was and perhaps would never be again. Although not professing Ireland Beautiful to be a guide book in the strictest sense of the meaning, Nutting admitted to having travelled more than 7,000 miles and visited every county in Ireland between 1922 and 1925 in addition to having taken all 304 photographs to appear in the publication, which appear as 'half-tone engravings'. Nutting visited most of the traditional beauty spots of Ireland and photographs them all, however, Ireland Beautiful is replete with images of his greatest passion: the ordinary. To this end more than half of the illustrations in this publication are of a more humble and simple way of life, notably the rural cottage, the cottier and the labourer. It was these themes that made Nutting famous and have ensured that his photography and the subjects that he chose and have lone since passed, still endure.
Fully-indexed, the 302 pages of text accompanying Ireland Beautiful's 304 photographs are as the themes of the illustrations, beautiful in their simplicity. A lovely publication that should not be missed by lovers of Ireland and lovers of photography.
Republished here is the 1850 edition of Sylvester O'Halloran's History of Ireland together with a continuation of O'Halloran's History by William Dolby and associated writers then resident in the United States.
Published in Providence Rhode Island by Murphy & McCarthy in about 1850 this publication contains Sylvester O'Halloran's History of Ireland from the earliest times to 1171 and is continued by with Dolby's History of Ireland from the Invasion of Henry the Second to the present, compiled from the most approved writers on the subject by W[illia]m. Dolby, aided by a committee of Admirers of Irish History. In all this publication contains 860 printed pages together with a number of copper-plate illustrations of notable Irish personalities such as Wolfe Tone and Daniel O'Connell.
O'Halloran's History of Ireland was first published in Ireland in 1774 and his preface to William Dolby's publication is dated Limerick 12th January 1778. One of Limerick's most famous sons, O'Halloran was born at Caherdavin, Co. Limerick, the third son of Michael, a prosperous Catholic farmer. He was taught at an early age by his mother's cousin, the Gaelic poet and scholar Séan Claragh McDonnell and unusually during the Penal Era attended a school run by a Protestant clergyman. However, to further his education O'Halloran first went to London and then Leyden and Paris to continue his education where he studied under the anatomist and academician, Antoine Ferrin. Returning to Limerick in 1749 O'Halloran successfully practised ophthalmic surgery in Limerick until his death in 1807 establishing the Limerick Infirmary in 1760 and becoming a member and latterly a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland and Royal Irish Academy.
Despite his success as a surgeon it is as an historian and defender of Gaelic Ireland that O'Halloran's name has been preserved for posterity. O'Halloran's interest in the arts began with his collection of Gaelic poetry manuscripts and this led to an interest in Irish history. From the early 1760s he became embroiled in a heated dispute over the validity and importance of pre-Norman Irish History, which many of the contemporary chroniclers had dismissed as a period of barbarism. Beginning with a public plea in 1763 to preserve the Irish Annals and a refutation of MacPherson's Ossian; Insula Sacra (1770) he went on to publish An introduction to the study of the Antiquities of Ireland (1770). In response to Thomas Leland's conservative History of Ireland (1773) he published his Ierne Defended (1774), which asserted the value of Irish manuscripts and continued his defence of pre-Norman Irish civilization with his A General History of Ireland (1774/5), which forms the first half of this publication.
Criticised in his own lifetime for being too sympathetic towards Gaelic Ireland, O'Halloran was immortalised shortly after his death (1807) in Maria Edgeworth's The Absentee, as the character of Count O'Halloran the 'tall thin doctor in his quaint French dress with his goldheaded cane, beautiful Parisian wig and cocked hat'. Republished here on fully-searchable CD-Rom, O'Halloran's History of Ireland down to 1171 coupled with William Dolby's History of Ireland from Henry II to the end of the 1840s is a monumental defence of Irish history and culture and one that should not be missed by anyone interested in Irish history and historiography, the first part of which rightly takes it place as one of the first refutations of Anglo-centric view of Ireland.
Republished here is the 1903 edition of Kelly's Directory of Kent. Containing more than 1,200 printed pages, which includes an A2 sized coloured map of the county, as with most other directories published by Kelly's, this 1903 Kent edition, although primarily a directory, also serves as a gazetteer.
The Kent Directory details every village, town and city in the county providing thorough topographical and statistical descriptions of all of the religious, educational, civil and municipal institutions contained in each. In most instances the Directory also provides a brief historical account of the village or town under consideration, which often includes important events and personages connected with the locality. As a preface to this edition a general history of the county as well as a description of its geology is also given, together with all the seats of the nobility and gentry found throughout the county. At the time of the publication of the 1903 edition of Kelly's Directory for Kent many suburbs and areas that now form part of Greater London were considered to be part of Kent proper, towns such as Peckham, Penge and Sydenham, and as a consequence these were included in the 1903 edition.
For any reader who might be unfamiliar with a directory and gazetteer such as Kelly's the degree of information contained on each village can be gleaned from the description of one of the first entries in the alphabetical Towns and Villages section, which constitutes the bulk of the directory. In describing the market town of Ashford it was noted that the name of Ashford was derived from its situation on the Esshe river. The importance of Ashford was at time of publication derived from the fact that it was the site of the central station and locomotive works of the South Eastern and Chatham Railway. The principal church, St. Mary's, was rebuilt in 1885 and could sit 1,750 worshippers. The parochial records for the parish dated from 1570 and contained many curious entries, not least from the Commonwealth period. Other principal buildings noticed were Christ Church, the Catholic Church of St. Teresa, the Corn Exchange, Fire Brigade, Swimming Baths, Flour Mills and Hospitals and many others. In addition to these notices, the Directory also provided information on the Official Establishments, Local Institutions, Magistrates, Urban & Rural Councils, Public Offices, Places of Worship, Schools, Newspapers and Carriers. As with each of the towns and villages noticed, the entry is concluded with an alphabetical list of private residents, a useful adjunct to the 1901 Census. For some of the major towns, additional information, such as local businesses are also provided. The level of detail provided in the Directory of Kent for the market town of Ashford is typical of the Directory as a whole.
The alphabetical list of villages and towns is followed by a county-wide alphabetical listing of Kent private and residents, as well as Trades and Professional Directory for the County. The Directory of Kent is concluded by 178 pages of advertisements from establishments throughout the county, many of which include illustrations and photographs of the advertiser, which will prove of great interest to some readers.
The parish of Little Saxham in Suffolk is situated close the Bury St.Edmunds. The complete registers for the church are published in this volume and consist of over 2,000 entries of baptisms, marriages and burials. But the volume contains far more, including:
- Church Briefs 1698-1733 (lists of charitable collections)
- Monumental Inscriptions in the church
- Monumental inscriptions in the graveyard
- Lost inscriptions
- Taxpayers in 1327
- Jurymen in 1341
- Poll Tax payers 1381
- Taxpayers 1522
- Hearth Tax payers 1670
- Thingoe Hundred taxes, 1454
- Ecclesiastical returns 1603
- Subscribers to the Suffolk ship
- Will and IPM of Thomas Lucas, 1531
- IPM Elizabeth Crofts 1520
- Will and IPM Sir John Crofts 1558
- Particulars of the Manor 1788
This is followed by an extensive history of the Lucas and then the Crofts families, sucessive owners of the manor of Little Saxham. Lastly the volume reprints a survey of Little Saxham in 1638 which gives copious details about the village, parish and its inhabitants.
The Post Office Directory of Glasgow follows the format of may of the other Post Office directories which were published at the time. Spread over nearly 900 pages this is an important publication for anyone researching ancestors from Glasgow.
Over 450 pages of the publication are taken up with an alphabetical name directory and street directory for Glasgow city. Several thousand names are included in these listings. This is followed by another 140 pages of a professional directory. There is also 29 pages of listings for suburban areas as well. The final part of the publication is made up of the official Post Office information, as well as government information, Scottish peerages, local institutions, banks, religious institutions, charitable institutions as well as much of the usual information normally associated with a directory. With some many thousands of names included this is a crucially important publication of anyone researching family history in Glasgow in the mid to late 19th Century.
First published in Sheffield in 1882 and republished here is William White Ltd's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire. Containing more than 1,120 printed pages, and a large scale map, the full title of this publication provides a good indication to the scope of the work: History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire, Including the City and Diocese of Lincoln; and comprising A General Survey of the County, and Separate, Historical Statistical Descriptions of all the Wapentakes, Hundreds, Sokes, Boroughs, Towns, Ports, Parishes, Townships, Chapelries, Villages, Hamlets, Manors & Unions; The Seats of the Nobility and Gentry; Magistrates, Members of the County Councils and Public Officers; And a Variety of Archaeological, Architectural, Agricultural, Biographical, Botanical, Statistical and Geological Information.
Beginning with a number of indices to the volume, the names of magistrates sheriffs, seats of the nobility, fairs, the History, Gazetteer & Directory of Lincolnshire, then provides a General History and Description of the County of Lincoln.
The majority of the History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire is taken-up by the Towns, Parishes and Villages section of the publication. Containing over 700 pages this alphabetically details all of the towns, parishes and villages in the county, beginning with Aby-with-Greenfield and ending with Yardborough, While there is a minimum level of detail that can be expected, larger towns and cities, such as Lincoln and Grantham are afforded much more detail. The entry for the City of Lincoln, for example, is detailed in almost 100 pages and includes and alphabetical and trades directories.
The History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire is concluded with the classified Professions and Trades Directory for the county covering more than 200 pages and detailing the trades and professions of thousands of businesses. For anyone interested in the history or occupants of Lincolnshire this is a must.
Republished here is Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire, which was first published in 1883. Containing some 279 printed pages, Kelly's Directory, as the then editor, A. Lindsay Kelly correctly noted, was primarily a directory, but also served as the gazetteer for every county for which Kelly's Directory was published, and this edition is no exception.
This directory includes every parish in the county and provides a thorough topographical description of every town, parish, village and township, describing the principal buildings and geographical objects of interest in each. Great care is also taken in Kelly's treatment of the ecclesiastical divisions of the county with descriptions of all the churches, cathedrals the value of the livings, parochial incumbents and patrons. The same level of detail is provided for the civil and local administration of the county with full information on county courts, districts fairs, markets, county hunts as well as communications such as rail and post throughout the county.
Beginning with Great Abington and ending with West Wratting, for those who might be unfamiliar with a directory such as Kelly's the degree of information contained on each village can be gleaned from the description of just one of the places entered in the Towns and Villages section of the directory, which forms the bulk of the directory, namely Horseheath. This is described as a village and parish pleasantly situated on the old Cambridge Road 14 miles south-east of Cambridge. Lying within the hundred of Chilford, Union of Linton, county district of Haverhill, rural deanery of Camps and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. The parish church of All Saints is described as being an ancient edifice of flint and rubble in the style of 14th and 15th c. Consisting of a chancel nave, south porch and square tower containing three bells. Within the church there is an ancient brass and several effigies. The parish registers dates from 1558 and living is a rectory with a yearly value of £360 the gift of the Governors of Charterhouse in London. There also existed a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. Horseheath Hall is described as a magnificent mansion erected in 1665 and surrounded by 870 acres of parkland. This was recently purchased and demolished by the Batson family who were Lords of the Manor. The soil is clay with a subsoil of chalk. The principal crops were oats and barley and the population of the parish at the time of the 1881 Census was 545. The entry is concluded with a list of the principal residents and farmers in Horseheath Parish.
While the village and parish of Horseheath are relatively small, the level of detail recorded in the directory are typical, with a much greater degree of information provided for the larger towns and cities in the county, especially that those of Ely and Cambridge that also include street directories and listings for private residents and commercial interests.
This edition of Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire is prefaced by a topographical and geological description of the county and is concluded with an extensive alphabetical list of the county's chief residents and commercial interests, which could be found across the length and breadth of the county in 1883. For anyone with even the slightest interest in the residents, topography of descriptions of the county of Cambridge this fully-searchable 1883 edition of Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire is highly recommended.
The Historical Manuscripts Commission was established by royal charter in 1869 with the express purpose of reporting on papers of historical interest in private keeping. The first two reports, dated 1870 and 1871, are republished here. They cover 520 pages, and show that the body was exceptionally active in fulfilling the task assigned to it.
The first report is 13 pages long, with a 133 page appendix. This appendix gives the various separate reports for each collection or location visited. It commences with a detailed look at the records of the House of Lords, and then proceeds to cover a great many aristocratic residences, such as Kimbolton Castle, Blickling Hall, Hatton Collection, Crome Court, Macclesfield, Tabley House, Trelawne, Stanford Court, and many others. Sevceral Cambridge colleges are reported on, as well as some important religious instiutions, like Norwich cathedral. The English report concludes with a look at some town and city corporation records, such as Bridgewater and Coventry.
There is a detailed report for Scotland, with extended treatment for Hamilton Palace, titled aristocrats like Richmond and Lothian, the Catholic Bishop of Edinburgh, the University of Edinburgh, and corporations of Glasgow & Edinburgh. A small number of reports are published for Ireland, including the aristocratic collections of Charlemont, Rosse, and Talbot de Malahide, and the corporations of Dublin, Kilkenny, Limerick, Waterford and Cork.
The second is 22 pages with an appendix of 263 pages. This covers many more places, including early reports on collections which were to become hallmark series for the HMC such as Bedford and Ormond. There are 41 English aristocratic collections, 17 for Scotland and 7 for Ireland, along with several colleges and corporations.
The two volume set is then completed with a comprehensive 85-page index. This publication is essential for scholars of early modern and medieval history in Britain or Ireland.
Published in London and New York in 1930 by Frederick Warne & Co. Ltd., and republished here is the second series of John Roby's Traditions of Lancashire. Originally published in 1831, this second series prove to be an excellent companion to the first series originally published in 1829 and republished in 1928.
Born on Wigan in 1793, John Roby began his career as a banker in Rochdale, but by the early 1820s was consumed by his passion for collecting stories. This led to his publication of the first series of The Traditions of Lancashire, which proved to be extremely influential and a huge hit with the British upper classes. Due to the book's popularity it was quickly followed in 1831 with this publication of a second series of Traditions. Continuing in the same vein as the first series this second series contains another eighteen stories, again accompanied by engravings. As an added bonus the 1930 edition of the second series contained a further three stories which were published in 1853 in "Legendary and Political Remains" after the author's death.
For any one who has a copy of the first series of Roby's Traditions this is an essential follow up.
Strathendrick, situated along the shore of Loch Lomond is a particularly beautiful and picturesque part of Scotland. Published in 1896 Strathendrick and its Inhabitants from Early Times was completed after the death of it's author John Guthrie Smith in 1894. Guthrie Smith was a well known Scottish historian and antiquarian who published a similar work on the Parish of Strathblane in 1886. He was also the author of several treatises and digests on the law in Scotland. This edition begins with an extensive memoir of the author himself.
The main body of the publications begins with the ecclesiastical history of the area, covering Fintry, Balfron, Killearn, Drymen, Buchanan, and Kilmaronock separately in individual chapters. This is followed by a history of some of the leading families of Strathendrick and the lands of the area, such as the Grahams of Fintry, the Galbraiths of Culcreuch, the Napiers, the estates of Aucheneck and Dalnair, as well at the Temple Lands of Letter and Balglas.
The final part of the book is made up of the Buchanan genealogies. Much like the previous sections of the book each branch of the family is given its own seperate chapter. Beginning with the Buchanans of Buchanan and the arrival in to Scotland from Ulster, continues with the Buchanans of Leny and Cadets, Drummikill and Cadets, Carbeth and Cadets, Arnpryor, Spittal and finally Auchmar. This part of the publication is enhanced with the inclusion of two extensive family trees.
Spread over 450 pages this is an enormously detailed history of Strathendrick, its lands and its families. Including images, a large map and the family trees, this publication is a must for anyone with an interest in Strathendrick.
This edition of Kelly's Directory was published in 1898 and is republished here in digital format. Spread over 745 pages this publication is a treasure trove of information for Essex in the late Nineteenth Century. This directory includes every parish in the county and provides a thorough topographical description of every town, parish, village and township, describing the principal buildings and geographical objects of interest in each. Great care is also taken in Kelly's treatment of the ecclesiastical divisions of the county with descriptions of all the churches, cathedrals the value of the livings, parochial incumbents and patrons. The same level of detail is provided for the civil and local administration of the county with full information on county courts, districts fairs, markets, county hunts as well as communications such as rail and post throughout the county.
Beginning with Abberton and ending with Little (or Upper) Yeldham the amount of detail included for each one is enormous. This is then followed by a Private Residential Directory for Essex. Listing the head of household there are over 10,000 names in this section alone. The Trades and Professional directory is spread over 155 pages and contains approximately 20,000 businesses listed alphabetically by profession.
This edition of Kelly's Directory of Essex is prefaced by a topographical and geological description of the county and is concluded with an extensive advertising section. For anyone with even the slightest interest in the residents, topography of descriptions of the county of Essex this fully-searchable 1898 edition of Kelly's Directory is highly recommended.
Published and sold in 1792 by J Good A Collection of Cotes of Arms Borne by the Nobility and Gentry of the County of Glocester is a unique publication. Arranged in to the three different divisions it combines some earlier published works with the Arms of those who wishes to be included in this new publication. The first division is based on the Coats of Arms that were prefixed in Robert Atkins's History published in 1712. The second division is compiled from Mr. Rudder's 1779 publication New History of Glocestershire. The third division is compiled from those who wanted to be included in this publication. Though the writer to point out that he could not include Coats of Arms which were not duly certified as this would be interfering with the "just and ancient established rights" of the College of Arms.
While the author mentions that no attempt will be made by him to discuss at length the subject of Heraldry, he does include a list of the knights of the county who served in the army of King Henry III. The list is given in its original French format. This is followed by a discussion of the elements that can go in to making a Coat of Arms and what they stand for, as well as several other parts that can only be described as a discussion on the subject of Heraldry.
Then follows 62 pages of images of the actual Coats of Arms arranged alphabetically, with several late additions at the end. The publication is then completed by a listing of the subscribers.
For anyone with an interest in the Heraldry and Coats of Arms of the county of Gloucestershire this is an invaluable publication.
We would like to thank John Adey of Family History Research Limited for making this book available to the Project.
Originally published in London 1908 by MacMillan & Co., Ltd., this first edition of the Highways and Byways in Hampshire, is republished here. Macmillan began publishing the Highways & Byways series in 1899 and by 1909 had completed almost twenty publications in the series, which extended across the length and breadth of England, Scotland and Wales, with one publication on Normandy and and another on Ireland. This highly popular series continued until the beginning of the Second World War.
The original publication of the Highways and Byways in Hampshire contains more than 450 printed pages recording the meandering routes taken by the book's author, and more than 90 pen and ink illustrations by Arthur B Connor, providing as with all of the Highways and Byways series a wonderful mix of topography, local history and folklore, which perhaps more than ever allows the reader to rediscover parts of Britain that have long disappeared or have been forgotten.
Much of the charm a vigour of the Highways and Byways series which has stood the test of time is down to the travellers and in the case of Hampshire this is no exception. There can be little doubt that Moutray Read had a deep affection for the county of Hampshire, declaring it to be "the most perfect of English Counties". With Southampton as a starting point much of the county was covered by the author on his travels and coupled with the copious illustrations this publication reintroduces the reader to the bygone charms of this county.
This is a guide to an important 19th century holiday destination on the outskirts of Bristol. The Hotwells were developed as a spa resort in the 18th century, and tried to compete with Bath. Clifton was an affluent suburb of Bristol directly north of the Hotwells.
This guide provides all the information a tourist might need, with extensive coverage on the baths and spa resort. More importantly the guide provides a detailed description of the buildings and environment of both suburbs, the services, public amenities, libraries, antiquities, etc.
The volume finishes we a guide to the villages and towns around Bristol, with copious details on their history and customs.
This is the first volume of the Yorkshire Archaelogocial and Topographical Association's Record Series Journal. Published in 1885 it comprises two series of records. Series one, spread over forty seven pages is a calendar of Inquisitions Post Mortem for the County of York which at the time were held in the Public Record Office in London. This is a listing of some 2,300 names of feudal tenants in chiefs who died and following their death it was necessary to establish exactly what lands they held and who was to succeed them. This calendar is a very useful guide as to where exactly to find the full records, which are an extremely useful genealogical source.
The bulk of this publication is made up of an index to the wills of Yorkshire for the first half of the 17th Century. While the period covered is relatively short the numbers of wills is in excess of 4,000. The details provided include name of individual, occupation in many cases, place of residence, date of will and administrator. In many cases the administrator is a member of the family. So with at least two names per record there are over 8,000 names of interest here. The volume is completed with a 34 page name index.
This first volume of the Yorkshire Records Volume Series is an extremely useful resource for anyone researching family in Yorkshire in the first half of the 17th Century.
This edition of the History, Directory and Gazetteer of the County, and of the Town and County of the Town of Nottingham by Francis and John White was published in 1844. With nearly 800 pages this is one of the key resources for Nottinghamshire. The intial part of the publication (over 100 pages) is a history of both the county and the town of Nottingham.
This is followed by an alphabetical street listing of Nottingham, which is then followed by an alphabetical directory of people and their address, and then a directory by profession. The two listings of people run to 100 pages. The town of Nottingham directory is then followed by directories for the various towns, parishes amd hundreds of the county. The subsequent 430 pages is full of enormous detail on each location including listings of many of the inhabitants and trades people. The publication finsihes with the market and port town of Gainsborough. Again there is a full trades directory for the town.
With listings of thousands of names and huge amounts of detials about each of the towns in the county, this is an extrmemly useful resource for anyone doing research in to Nottingham.
Part of a extensive rare multi-volume set, this publication, Vol XII part II covers Oxfordshire and Rutlandshire. The idea behind this set of publications was to visit every county in England and Wales and produce a volume comprising text and numerous engravings.
Published in 1813 this volume dedicates some 580 pages to Oxfordshire and another 160 to Rutlandshire. Describing the places, topography, agriculture, history and antiquities in great detail, coupled with the engravings, this is a wonderful source.
Charting the history of Oxfordshire from Roman times through to the early 1800s, particular attention is paid to the city of Oxford as well as it's colleges, with thorough descriptions of the major buildings on campus. After the city of Oxford, the author , J.N. Brewer, moves on to the hundreds of the county. The information for Rutlandshire is similar to that provided for Oxfordshire.
For anyone interested in either Oxfordshire or Rutlandshire this is an extremely valuable and important publication.
William White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Leicester & Rutland was originally published in Sheffield in 1877 and is republished here. This third edition contains nearly 900 printed pages, the full-title of this publication gives a good indication as to the scope of the work: History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Leicester, and Rutland; comprising General Surveys of both Counties, and Separate Historical, Statistical and Topographical Descriptions of all the Hundreds, Towns, Parishes, Townships, Chapelries, Villages, Hamlets, Manors and Unions; the seats of the nobility and gentry; Magistrates and Public Officers; and a great variety of other Archaeological, Architectural, Agricultural, Biographical, Botanical and Geological Information.
The History, Gazetteer and Directory of Leicestershire & Rutland is introduced with general historical and descriptive surveys of Leicestershire and Rutland. These record the extent and population of each, mainly taken from the statistical abstracts of the 1871 Census and also describes the nature of industry and agriculture, gentlemen's seats as well as those of the nobility, clergy and magistrates, for both counties.
The majority of the History, Gazetteer and Directory of Leicestershire & Rutland is comprised of the alphabetical gazetteer and directory; initially arranged by hundred and then by parish, these contain topographical, historical details on all of the towns, villages and hamlets in the county, providing the population of each parish, township, chapelry and extra-parochial liberty, together with their 'owners of the soil', Lord of the Manors and nature and value of the church livings, places of worship, their patrons and incumbents. In addition, information is provided on public and other buildings of note, public charities, institutions, trade and commerce, communications, remarkable local occurrences, objects of interest and curiosities.
For principal places such as the town of Leicester in addition to the information detailed for other locations, White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Leicestershire & Rutland also provides an alphabetical directory of names, trades, professions and residences, which in the instance of the town of Leicester runs to some seventy-six pages. This is followed by a professional directory for the town and borough of Leicester. Also included is a 150 page Classified Professions and Trades Directory for Leicestershire and Rutland. The original large scale map from the publication is incorporated too.
Published by the Parish Register Society in 1899, The Registers of Lydlinch, Co. Dorsert, were transcribed by Charles Herbert Mayo (Vicar of Long Burton) and the late Francis George Henley (Rector of Lydlinch). Comprising just over 140 pages there are records of baptisms, marriages and burials dating from 1559 up to 1812.
The introduction describes in detail the 4 volumes of registers that were used to compile this volume, including extensive physical details of the volumes. This is followed by a listing of the Rectors of Lydlinch dating from 1303 up to the mid ninteenth century. Volumes 1 and 2 comprises aproximately 3,500 records of baptisim, marriages and burials. The final two volumes comprise 120 records of marriages. The records are followed by a detailed 17 page name index. For anyone doing research in to family history in the parish of Lydlinch in Dorset this is a must have resource.
The Post Office Directory of Glasgow follows the format of many of the other Post Office directories which were published at the time. Spread over 1100 pages this is an important publication for anyone researching ancestors from Glasgow.
Over 500 pages of the publication are taken up with an alphabetical name directory and street directory for Glasgow city. Several thousand names are included in these listings. This is followed by another 190 pages of a professional directory. There is also 70 pages of listings for suburban areas as well. The final part of the publication is made up of the official Post Office information, as well as government information, Scottish peerages, local institutions, banks, religious institutions, charitable institutions as well as much of the usual information normally associated with a directory. With some many thousands of names included this is a crucially important publication of anyone researching family history in Glasgow in the mid to late 19th Century.
Published in 1835 the Epitome of the County of Warwick is exactly as the title suggests - a condensed account of all the towns, villages, parishes of the County of Warwickshire with a brief general observation of the topography and natural history as an introduction. Beginning with the small market town of Alcester and working alphabetically through the county the publication finishes with Wyken, while several pages are spent on the author's home town of Coventry. The publication includes a town index as well as being fully searchable. Spread out over 200 pages this publication also features a large scale colour map of the county.
The archdeaconry of Taunton covers a large portion of the south-west of England within the Diocese of Bath and Wells. The majority of the wills from this district survive in the local Probate registry, and were comprehensively calendared by Edward Fry in this volume published by the British Record Society in 1912. It includes the peculiars of Ilminster and Wivilescombe along with all other surviving probate material kept by the Taunton registry. This book includes over 24,000 entries covering 448 pages making it an essential resource for those tracing families prior to 1800.
New Releases every month. Subscribe to our newsletter. Click here.